Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up for a culinary adventure unlike any other! Today, we are diving into the world of unique Polish cuisine and introducing you to the star of the show – the Golonka, also known as the Polish Ham Hock.
You may be wondering, “What is a Golonka and why should I care?” Well, my friends, a Golonka is a cut of pork from the lower leg of a pig, and it is the perfect combination of tender and juicy. But we are not just cooking any ordinary Golonka – oh no! We are taking it to the next level with a sweet and savory beer-honey glaze.
So grab your aprons, pour yourself a cold one, and let’s get cooking!
- 1 large ham hock (golonka)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 bottle of your favorite beer
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add the ham hock, onions, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Pour in the stock and add enough beer to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2 hours, or until the ham hock is tender and the meat is falling off the bone.
- While the ham hock is cooking, mix together the honey and remaining beer in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture over low heat until the honey is melted and the mixture is well combined. Set it aside.
- After the ham hock has cooked for 2 hours, remove it from the pot and place it in a baking dish. Brush the beer-honey glaze all over the ham hock.
- Bake the ham hock in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the glaze is caramelized and the ham hock is crispy on the outside.
- Serve the golonka hot, garnished with fresh herbs and with crusty bread on the side.
So there you have it – the Golonka experience! A delicious, hearty, and comforting dish that will have you coming back for seconds. Don’t be afraid to get creative with the glaze – try different beers, add some spices, or even a splash of vinegar. The possibilities are endless!
So sit back, relax, and enjoy the love story between pork and beer. Cheers!